The Sewanee Review
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
We accept unsolicited submissions from September to May. Please submit only one story or essay per submission (10,000 words or fewer) or up to six poems. Our average response time is twelve weeks. We accept simultaneous submissions. We do not accept paper submissions or submissions via fax or email.
The Fourth Annual Sewanee Review Contest
July 1 - 31, 2021
Submit one short story or one nonfiction essay of up to 10,000 words, or a set of 1-6 poems.
Judges: Brandon Taylor (fiction), Paisley Rekdal (poetry), and Stephanie Danler (nonfiction)
Winners in each genre receive $1,000 and publication in the Winter 2022 issue.
All contest entrants receive a one-year subscription to the Sewanee Review starting with the Fall 2021 issue. All contest entries will be considered for publication.
Guidelines for Submitting:
- Submit only one story, essay, or set of 1-6 poems per entry. Please submit only once per genre.
- Submitted work must be original and previously unpublished in any form (in print or online).
- Submitted work cannot be revised once it has been submitted.
- Do not include a cover letter. Remove all identifying information from your submission. All submissions will be read anonymously.
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed. Please notify us immediately if your contest entry is accepted by another publication.